Monday, August 15, 2011

Adoption conference and meeting this mystery couple!

My mom and I went to the FSA National adoption conference held just right here in Layton.  Ryan joked that we had our wedding reception at the Davis Conference Center and now we are returning there to learn more about getting a baby!

This was an awesome conference and I'm so glad I took the day off to go.  Here are some of the things we learned:

Sister Beck came (Loved her talk!)
-Told about how her father lost a baby and his wife at an early age but he decided the day of the funeral that "This trail will not defeat me".   I loved that!  What a good attitude and perspective.
-Talked about how we are all adopted into Heavenly Father's covenant.  Adoption isn't a new thing.  It's been around forever.  So has infertility.  Hannah, Samuel's mom, in the scriptures had great sorrow with infertility.

More things I learned:

Someone shared the scripture in 1st Nephi about how Nephi says "I will go and do the things which the Lord has commanded me, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the things which he commands." They said that the Lord has commanded us to multiply and replenish the earth but for those of us that can't have children on our own, he has provided a way to accomplish it: Adoption.  I thought that was an awesome way to think about it.

Blood is Mortal, we only have that mortal blood for a split second in the eternities. The children that we adopt are forever, ya they don't have our blood, but they are sealed to us.

The scripture in Acts that says "It is more blessed to give than it is to receive"  those courageous birth parents that place their babies are so unselfish and truly are my heros.

And for the Mystery Couple:
Before we even started the adoption process I got onto itsaboutlove.org and started going through the profiles looking for couples that I would pick if I were placing my own baby.  I found a couple that struck me.  There was something about them that touched me and I was drawn to them.  I know I'm crazy, but I kept checking them out.

Months later, I'm sitting at the conference and I see a couple that looks really, really familiar.  I figure it out, they were senior missionaries in the Jackson, Mississippi mission and I served with them.  I went and started talking to Sister Warner and her husband.  I asked them what they were doing there and they said that their daughter was hoping to adopt and gave me one of her adoption card....it was that couple I had been watching!!! Talk about small world.  I got to meet them and they are even more neat in person than on paper.  It's hard to explain.  I just was so connected to them before I even met them and BAM I get to meet them in real life and loved them!  I wish them the best of luck and hope to once again cross paths because I would really love to just chat.  



3 comments:

harmony marie said...

Crazy Small world. Love those scriptures and quotes. You are such a cool AUNT! I'll have to remember to get some pointers from you...when that auntie day comes along.

Gibbons said...

I love your post. You always make me tear up. I love the "This trail will not defeat me" quote. I am going to try to remember that when I am going through hard times with Cooper.

Becca & Jesse said...

Geez! You sure know how to make a couple blush! I was crazy excited to find out we had 'fans' (if you will) and loved meeting you too! The conference was indeed fantastic and meeting you was just one of the great parts about it. Hopefully I'll finish my blog post soon about my take on meeting you! Talk to you soon I'm sure! =)